August is the month to pick up summer clothes at highly discounted prices.
But while you’re trying on shorts, sandals and sundresses, also stop by the jewelry counter, because shiny baubles are on sale, too.
Now is also the time to start planning the kids’ back-to-school wardrobe.
For a diversion, take advantage of New York Restaurant Week, with hundreds of restaurants featuring prix fixe, three-course lunch menus ($25) and dinner menus ($38) through Aug. 15. Check listings at nycgo.com.
Or head to a national park Aug. 25, when the National Park Service celebrates its birthday with free admission.
With Labor Day falling on Sept. 1, a Monday, look for holiday sales to begin around Aug. 28.
Here’s what to buy in August:
• Summer clothes. Save 40% to 70% — or more if you can find stacking coupons. Retailers want to make way for their fall merchandise.
• Backpacks. Find significant discounts as the opening day of the school year approaches. Already on sale: L.L. Bean Deluxe Book Pack, $29.96 (regularly $39.95).
Kmart has a bunch of themed book packs, including Teenage Mutant Turtles and One Direction, sale-priced at $15.29 (regularly $17.99).
• Dorm furnishings. Deals are starting to pop up for things like futons and beanbag chairs, but don’t necessarily grab the first one you see. More deals will come later in the month.
• Accessories. Summer hats, handbags, belts and scarfs are among items sale-priced this month. Head to Macy’s and pick up a Nine West Striped Floppy Hat for $15.99 (regularly $36).
• Sleepwear. Spring for a new pair of pajamas or a sexy nightie. Save up to 60% on summer intimates at Kohl’s.
• Swimwear. Look for major price cuts as retailers clear out stock. Victoria’s Secret has swimsuits reduced up to 60%. At Macy’s, snag a Michael Kors one-shoulder for $41.99 (regularly $112).
• Jewelry. In a slow month, retailers such as Kay Jewelers reduce prices on many things sparkly — including gold, diamonds and watches.
• Sneakers. Foot Locker has basketball shoes reduced up to $50 and running shoes up to 30% off. The Jordan Super.Fly 2 PO is priced at $99.99 (regularly $129.99).
• Computers and MP3 players. Look for deals that bundle for savings — you may be able to get a free Xbox or printer with your laptop.
If you’re a college student (or parent) buying on an education plan, get a $50 Apple Store gift card when you purchase an iPad or iPhone, or a $100 gift card when you buy a Mac.
• Patio furniture. Buy at the end of the month for optimum savings (as much as 50% off) from retailers including Sears, Walmart and Target. Save, too, on grills, swing sets and other summertime items.
- 9 of the Best Summer Styles to Snag from Nordstrom's Better Together Sale Before It Ends Tomorrow
- 23 Things on Sale You’ll Actually Want to Buy: From Patagonia to Staub
- Thousands of Sandals Are on Sale at Nordstrom Right Now — Here Are 11 Pairs Worth Shopping
- 10 Things on Sale You’ll Actually Want to Buy: From Urban Decay to Eberjey
- High street shops including H&M, Currys and Topshop slash prices by up to 70% online
- British farmers forced to pay the cost of supermarket price wars
- Over 1,600 PC Games Discounted In Latest Spring Sale: RE3, Red Dead 2, And More
- Huge PS4 Spring Sale Adds New Wave Of Deals: Spider-Man, Sekiro, And More
- Huge PS4 Spring Sale Has Big Discounts On Spider-Man, Sekiro, And More
- Major PS4 Sale Has Big Discounts On Spider-Man, Sekiro, And More
August is a great time to pick up summer clothes at sale prices, take advantage of dining discounts have 559 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at August 4, 2014. This is cached page on World News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.