LOS ANGELES, CA — An autumn heat wave will bring near triple digit temperatures to wide swaths of Los Angeles Tuesday as the heat combines with windy conditions to increase the fire danger across the region. The Santa Ana wind conditions are expected to get worse later in the week.
The week-long heat wave is expected to intensify Tuesday, with the temperature reaching 96 degrees in downtown Los Angeles and hotter in the valleys.
Woodland Hills and Pasadena are expected to reach 97 degrees while high winds are expected to bring winds of 20 to 30 mph, with gusts up to 50 mph in the mountains and valleys.
The hot temps, combined with high winds and low humidity, are creating dangerous fire conditions in the mountain areas of the Southland. Firefighters are still battling the 8,800-acre Saddleridge Fire in the northern San Fernando Valley, which was 92% contained Tuesday.
After a break Wednesday, the Santa Ana winds are expected to get worse later in the week, with a red-flag warning for extreme fire danger on Thursday and Friday, according to the NWS.
The hot temperatures are expected to continue Wednesday, with highs reaching 80 at the beaches and in the 90s inland and in the valleys.
City News Service contributed to this report.
- People are sharing terrifying footage of their commutes in the fiery hellscape around Los Angeles
- How to help California fire victims in Ventura, Los Angeles, and San Diego
- Sofia Richie does damage control after catching heat over 'tone-deaf' and 'insensitive' Los Angeles wildfire comments
- Insane video shows the Los Angeles fires engulfing hillsides above the 405 freeway where ‘the car windows are hot’
- Record heat wave scorches Los Angeles
- Dior shows cruise collection in Los Angeles
- A flash flood watch is in effect as a once-a-decade rainstorm barrels toward Los Angeles
- A 30-year-old saved $10,000 in rent when she left Los Angeles to Airbnb-hop around the world
- 2016 Nissan Sentra Debuts in Los Angeles
- California suburbs again under siege from wind-driven fires
High Temperatures, Santa Ana Winds To Buffet Los Angeles have 318 words, post on patch.com at October 22, 2019. This is cached page on World News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.