The tabloid cited unnamed government sources as saying that two ministers were pushing for the change, possibly from the end of September.
At present, Germans are required to present a negative coronavirus test if they want to enter offices, some shops and restaurants and can get tested for free.
Testing sites have been expanded in recent months to include pharmacies.
Watch video 02:18
Germans divided over restrictions for unvaccinated – DW’s Theresa Tropper
Scholz and Söder back the plan
Finance minister and the center-left Social Democrat (SDP) chancellor candidate Olaf Scholz and Bavaria’s premier Markus Söder have strongly endorsed the measure, according to Bild.
Scholz reportedly supported the measure because progress in getting people vaccinated meant that public funds shouldn’t be used to test those who are unvaccinated for free.
Free tests are costing the government €3.4 billion ($4 billion dollars), according to Bild .
Separately, Scholz has reminded the public to get vaccinated.
“We have to convince our friends to get vaccinated. This is a matter that touches every one of us,” Scholz told newspapers of the Funke media group.
Politicians call for faster vaccination
German politicians are also actively encouraging people to get their shots as the school year , which typically begins in August, is drawing closer.
SPD leader Saskia Esken and the German Association of Cities have called for vaccination campaigns at schools. Esken said she supported mobile vaccination teams at education establishments.
Thorsten Frei, the deputy leader of the CDU/CSU parliamentary group for law and consumer protection, told Bild that free tests ought to continue for children since they’re not eligible for vaccination yet.
Meanwhile, Germany is preparing for federal elections in September and the officer responsible for overseeing them has maintained that all necessary precautions for poll workers have been taken into account.
So far, 51% percent of Germans have been fully vaccinated, but experts say it isn’t enough to prevent the fourth wave of the pandemic.
rm/mm (DPA, AFP)
- Covid tests could be picking up DEAD virus cells from weeks' old infections and 'false positives' could be exaggerating scale of pandemic, claims study
- Government is now RATIONING Covid tests: Health experts fear spikes will be missed because testing is reduced in some areas due to outbreaks in others - forcing people to travel more than 100 miles to nearest swab centre
- Doctor, aide arrested for giving forged COVID-19 test reports
- Amrita Arora lashes out at those circulating Malaika Arora’s Covid-19 test report on social media
- Super-fast Covid tests that could end social distancing for good: Government announces £500m cash boost for five trials of kits that give results in as little as 20 minutes
- Two arrested for issuing fake COVID-19 report, Delhi Police say 75 people duped
- Coco Gauff exits US Open as organizers use 'enhanced protocol plan' after positive Covid test
- Amrita Arora slams those circulating sister Malaika Arora’s Covid-19 test report: ‘What’s the perverse pleasure?’
- Grant Shapps is 'completely disengaging' from aviation industry over airport Covid tests as Heathrow bosses reveal the minister has not met with them in TWO WEEKS amid a furious backlash over Portugal fiasco
- Three, including doctor arrested for forging Covid-19 reports: Police
Germany could make unvaccinated pay for COVID tests — report have 555 words, post on www.dw.com at January 31, 2021. This is cached page on World News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.